Kids stretching routine: Stretching for Young Athletes – Injury Prevention
Stretching for Young Athletes – Injury Prevention
Sports participation is a leading cause of injury in young people. Sports injuries can have both short- and long-term consequences. An injury can immediately sideline a player, putting both the fun of the sport and the health benefits of exercise on hold. An injury that keeps a child out of the game over the long term can increase the chances of gaining weight, becoming less fit in general and even developing arthritis in later years. It may not always be possible to avoid injury when playing sports, especially physical contact sports, but athletes can help protect themselves by preparing before and after a game or practice session by warming up muscles and then stretching.
Benefits of Warming Up and Stretching For Young Athletes
Whether the activity is skiing, running or playing a group sport like basketball or football, stretching keeps the young athlete’s body flexible. Flexibility can cut down on injuries, especially at the knee and ankle. Stretching again after activity should also be part of an injury prevention plan. Before any kind of physical activity, including stretching, the body needs to be warmed up with some light exercise. Walking, running in place or doing jumping jacks for a few minutes will warm up muscles.
Warm Up Stretches Before Workout or Playing Sports
Once muscles are warm, young athletes are ready for these stretches, each of which should be repeated three to six times:
- Forward lunge. Kneel on one knee. Place the other leg forward at a right angle (knee right over ankle). Lean forward to feel the stretch in the front of the thigh. Hold for 20 seconds. Repeat several times. Switch legs.
- Side lunge. Stand with feet far apart. Bend one leg and lean toward that knee. Hold for 20 seconds. Repeat several times, then bend and lean toward the opposite leg.
- Standing quad (thigh) stretch. Use a wall or chair for support. The child should raise one foot behind him/her. Using the hand on the same side of the body, he/she should pull the foot up toward the buttocks, stretching the thigh. Keep the knees close. Hold for 20 seconds, then release. Repeat several times. Switch legs.
- Seat straddle lotus. Have the child sit down with the soles of the feet together in front of him/her, pressing knees to the floor. Place the forearms on the inside of the knees and push down as the child leans toward the ground. Lean forward from the hips. Hold for 20 seconds. Repeat several times.
- Side seat straddle. Sit on the floor, legs spread apart. With both hands, hold onto the shin of one leg. Lean forward, chin to knee. Hold for 20 seconds. Repeat. Switch legs.
- Seat stretch. Sit with legs straight out in front. Holding shins or ankles, lean forward from the hips. Bring the chin toward the knees. Hold for 20 seconds. Repeat several times.
- Knees to chest. Lying on the floor, bend knees and bring them to the chest. Rock gently. Hold for 20 seconds. Repeat several times.
After every workout, repeat these same stretches to help the body cool down and increase flexibility while muscles are still warm.
How Often should young athletes stretch?
- Before starting a game, sport or practice, all athletes should warm up the muscles with five to 10 minutes of a light version of exercise. For example, to warm up for basketball, do some relaxed shooting; for jogging, walk. A warm-up will increase blood flow to the muscles and tendons, which makes them less likely to be injured.
- After exercise, cool down for 10 minutes by decreasing the intensity of the activity. Cooling down helps the muscles eliminate waste products and decreases soreness. Gently stretch the muscles used in the activity to help relax them.
How Many Times a Week Should You Stretch?
Young athletes should stretch at least three times a week, but only after they have warmed up or after a workout, when muscles are loose and relaxed. Stretching before warming up does not reduce the risk for injury during a sport, and fitness experts such as the American College of Sports Medicine, no longer recommend it.
How Long to Hold a Stretch: Increases Flexibility
- When stretching, hold each stretch (no bouncing or jerking) for 20 seconds. Don’t stretch to the point of pain.
- Repeat stretches two to three times for each muscle group.
- There’s no prize for finishing a stretching routine first, so encourage kids to take it slow to get all the benefit from the stretch.
Learn more about physical therapy for athletes offered by CHOC.
Stretching (for Teens) – Nemours KidsHealth
Medically reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
A balanced exercise routine includes
aerobicactivity, strength training, and stretching. Stretching not only feels good, but may help prevent muscle injuries.
It’s important to warm up your body before any physical activity. Warming up for about 5–10 minutes goes a long way toward preparing the body for exercise.
- increases your heart rate and respiratory rate
- increases muscle temperature
- boosts the amount of blood and oxygen delivered to your muscles
- prepares the body for a workout
A warm-up can even be the activity you are about to do but at a slower pace. For example, if you’re about to go for a run, warm up with walking or a light jog. If you’re going to go for a swim, do a couple of slow warm-up laps. If you play a sport, focus on the muscles that are used for your particular sport. For instance, if you play baseball, you might warm up your shoulder with light throwing.
Dynamic stretching uses many muscle groups in a sport specific manner and can be part of your warm-up. Besides warming up the muscles that will be used in the activity, dynamic stretching allows for full range of motion of the joints.
Stretching the Right Way
Stretching used to be considered the main activity before a workout. But traditional, or “static,” stretching may lead to decreased muscle strength and performance, especially if your muscles are not warmed up enough. Stretching cold muscles can lead to injury.
To get the most out of warming up and stretching, try dynamic stretches before and static stretching after a workout.
Stretching properly may reduce muscle injuries and improve athletic performance. It also increases:
- joint range and motion
- blood flow to muscles
Here are some tips on how to stretch properly:
Stop if it hurts. Stretching should never hurt. If you have reached a point in your stretch where it hurts, pull back to where you still feel a stretch but can hold the stretch comfortably.
Hold each stretch for 10–30 seconds. Holding a stretch for any less won’t sufficiently lengthen the muscle. Holding a stretch too long may overstretch muscles. Overstretching may cause injury and decrease performance. Stretch the muscles slowly and don’t force it.
Don’t bounce. Bouncing while stretching may injure the muscle you’re stretching.
Remember to breathe. Don’t hold your breath when you stretch. Inhale slowly and relax into the stretch as you breathe out.
Stretch both sides. You may be more flexible on one side, but try to do equal stretching on both sides. Big differences in flexibility may lead to injury.
Stretch regularly. To maintain flexibility, stretch at least 3 days a week.
You need to slow down your body after a workout or exercise. Do 5–10 minutes of gentle movement and stretching to help your body recover from a workout.
Your cool-down routine should include gentle movement and stretching. Cooling down and stretching at the end of a workout helps you to:
- slow your heart rate and breathing
- reduce the chance of feeling dizzy or lightheaded
- relax and feel the benefits of your workout
Whether you’re new to working out or a lifelong athlete, be sure to include a good before-and-after routine for better performance and recovery.
Medically reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: March 2022
Stretching for children – stretching lessons for children with twine
Stretching for children
Stretching is necessary not only for those children who are professionally involved in dancing, gymnastics or other sports. Even for those children who do not want to take places on pedestals, stretching will bring a lot of benefits:
- will help to acquire a beautiful correct posture;
- will help develop coordination of movements;
- will teach you to control your body;
- will strengthen muscles and ligaments;
- forms a beautiful slender figure.
Children often want to achieve success in sports – sit on the splits, make a bridge, spin the wheel. At a younger age, muscles and ligaments are very malleable and easily influenced, so it is easier and easier for children to translate their plans into reality. The main thing is to draw up a training plan and conduct training only under the supervision of an experienced trainer. The elasticity of the muscles can also play a negative role, because they are very easy to injure. Do not stretch the child without the appropriate knowledge and practice. What will happen in the stretching class? The lesson takes place in several stages, during which a warm-up (warm-up) is carried out, a set of stretching and relaxation exercises is performed. This approach allows you to achieve results quickly and with maximum safety.
Stretching for beginners
Children’s stretching is an opportunity to raise the child’s authority, help him to believe in himself, to make sure that everything is possible. Be sure to contact professional teachers for stretching, especially if the child has not previously played sports. The reason is not only that the twine stretch for children must be carried out correctly. Not every child is ready to completely immerse himself in work, obey the coach and follow all his instructions. The task of the coach is to find an approach to each of the students, to become not a friend for him, but a mentor who does not force, but helps.
What do the kids do during the Cosmo Dance stretching class, since we don’t just do the splits? Our students work on the muscles of the whole body, stretch their legs, back, arms, gain flexibility. We will teach you how to perform a variety of exercises and tricks that young athletes are so eager to master. Now bridges and wheels will not be something inaccessible!
How can I sign up for split and general stretching classes for children at Cosmo Dance? Choose a convenient time for training and a branch of the school that is more convenient for you to get to. You can visit trial classes with different trainers in order to find a teacher that is most appropriate in character and approach for your child.
Split and general stretching for children in Cosmo Dance means treating young athletes as if they were adults, attention and respect for students, an individual approach to each of them. This is an attentive staff and a high level of training of our teachers, comfortable rooms for training and relaxation. This is a place where your child will gain not only the ability to control his body, but also real friends, a great mood and energize. We are waiting for you in class.
Video Stretching for children
What to wear
Just you and the trainer
Bunny Bunny Spiral Pendant Baby Rattle Toy for newborn stretching on the car seat gift
Suspension-spiral Crumbs Toy baby rattle Bunny Bunny for newborn stretching on the car seat gift buy at the price of 1559 ₽ in the online store Detsky Mir youtube.com/embed/i8_jSzTJSXE?enablejsapi=1&mite=1″ frameborder=”0″ allow=”autoplay; encrypted-media” allowfullscreen=””>
more -5% for 2 pcs
2 499 ₽
1 559 ₽
2 pcs – even cheaper
Additional 5% discount when buying 2 pcs.
You can exchange or return goods of good quality within 14 days from the date of purchase.
About this product
“Spiral toy with rattle “Bunny Bunny” is a universal educational toy that will interest any baby. You can take the spiral toy with you on the road, for a walk or hang it on the bed. It is multifunctional: it squeaks, rustles, rattles and, if necessary, will help the baby with teething.The toy itself is made of materials that are pleasant to the touch: plush and sentipuh What are the advantages of the toy? perception: two different rattles, a soft toy, rustling leaves, a teether 2. You can diversify the games with your child, since each part of the rattle can be used separately from the spiral snake 3. Convenience and ease of use: the hanging toy is easy to attach to 4. The materials used to create the toy are durable, so the child can safely twist, shake or chew on it. 5. An additional item to the wonderful “Bani Bunny” collection: a comforter, a rattle-ring, a developing cube, a squeaker. The toy is suitable for playing with a baby aged 0 months, and at the age of 1 year, a child can start playing with it on his own. If you have any questions, we will be happy to answer them, and look forward to new prospects for further cooperation.”
|Country of origin||Russia|
|Package width, cm||15.0|
|Package length, cm||29.0|
|Package weight, kg||0.183|
|Package height , cm||11. 5|
|Country of origin||Russia||12cm x 15cm x 29cm|
|Package weight||0.18 kg|
Rating and reviews
All Reviews (2)
Overall Impressions 900 31
Good afternoon! Thank you for trusting us with the development of your baby! With toy pendants, the child will not be bored on the road. And for fun educational games at home, soft cubes for the smallest art are suitable. 1000141313 and a squeaker for newborns Bunny-carrot 1000584997. With love for you and your children, the children’s happiness factory “Makishi”!
Good afternoon! Thank you for trusting us with the development of your baby! With toy pendants, the child will not be bored on the road. And for fun educational games at home, soft cubes for the smallest art are suitable. 1000141313 and squeaker for newborns Bunny Carrot
1000584997. With love for you and your children, the factory of children’s happiness “Myakishi”!
Toys for toddlers and preschoolersCategory
Toys and gamesCategory
Price for Suspension-spiral Crumbs Toy baby rattle Bunny Bunny for newborns stretching for car seat gift – 1559 ₽.
Yes, we can deliver goods to any region of Russia, including the following cities: Moscow, St. Petersburg, Yekaterinburg, Krasnodar, Perm, Samara, Nizhny Novgorod, Voronezh, Novosibirsk, Kazan.
You will receive 31 bonuses. Bonuses can be used to pay 100% of the purchase price: 1 bonus = 1 ruble.
Yes, in our online store it is possible to buy this product in installments.